Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Microsoft Office Web Apps – Excel and Such…

So thanks to a comment from TempWorks Software CEO, Gregg Dourgarian, I decided to give Microsoft’s Sky Drive a shot to be a potential replacement for my obsession with Google Docs. In using it for a whopping 15 minutes or so, I found a few pros and cons:

Pros Cons
Storage Space (25GB) Web Apps is only available to a select group of Live users. My team can’t fully use it yet.
Shared Security based off of Windows Live Messenger Contacts and Categories Word is not available yet
“Pretty” User Interface with Large Buttons and Familiar Graphics Can share folders only, not individual files
Power User features that Google Docs lacks Can’t set different security for subfolders, only root folders
Familiar User Interface (Ribbon menus) No integration with Mesh’s storage
Drag & Drop file uploading Slower than desktop version
  No “invite people” link
  No master list of documents; all folder-based.
  Doesn’t work on Google Chrome

 

As a user who is accustomed to working hand-in-hand with other users, the lack of a clear sharing workflow, the inability for all of my users to use the web apps due to the “preview” piece, and the lack of cross-browser support has put me off of Web Apps… for now, at least.

In my ideal world, Microsoft will fix up their sharing and collaboration workflow and integrate with the other cloud computing products out there, such as Mesh, and it will make this a much more viable option for me. Until then, Google Docs reigns champion still.

No comments:

Post a Comment